Job Description Archives Assistant at the Cathedral Archives Mdina, Malta
- To provide prompt and high research service and abide by the established policies of the Cathedral Archives.
- The job being offered is on a definite contract basis.
- The employee should report to work for 40hrs per week (excluding a daily 30 minute break). One must report for work during the office core hours between 9am – 3pm and may work the remaining hours flexibly between Monday – Saturday in the office premises. Saturday opening hours for researchers is between 9am to 12pm.
- The employee may be asked to perform extra hours (overtime) during important activities organised by either the Archives, Museum or Cathedral.
- The employee must maintain the archives premises in order, observe the office policies and be supportive in ongoing projects.
- The employee shall work according to the exigencies of the archive office as instructed; reporting and maintaining constant dialogue with the Director and Archivist. Furthermore, must keep a full track record of the working activities and tasks assigned.
- The employee shall be responsible to take the digital imagery on request by the researchers.
- The employee shall assist in the planning, setting up and presentation of themed exhibitions which are usually requested and booked by visitors from various institutions.
- The employee shall be responsible in registering correspondence including data processing.
- The employee should assist in the cataloguing process of unclassified archival material and the updating or refining existing archival tools and databases.
- The employee shall assist in the process of storage and protection of electronic images and ensure safety of the digital archival patrimony especially by creating handlists and location indexes.
- The employee will be asked to work on the library set up; including its content management and its collection development and be proficient in compiling databases.
- The employee shall be responsible in the updating of the archives website through the use of wordpress and the FB page accordingly.
- The employee is duty bound to conserve the documentary patrimony pertaining to the Cathedral Archives. Thus the employee will be asked to carry out preservation packaging activities.
- The employee has no authority to give on loan any archival or library material to any person unless authorised by the director.
- Request to sit for any course or other work which might conflict with the working hours of the archives should be asked beforehand and requires the approval of the board of directors.
The right candidate should have the following qualifications
- The ideal candidate should have a Bachelor or a Diploma in Archival and Library studies. History related subjects will also be considered.
- Is ideally proficient in reading and understanding Italian and has some knowledge of Latin.
- The employee must be proficient in general Maltese and European history and become acquainted with the rich collection and administrative history of the Cathedral Archives.
- The employee must be proficient in using the various digital and hard copy finding aids and retrieve the archival material as requested by the researchers.
- To be proficient in IT operational skills especially Microsoft Office, Google Drive and wordpress and ideally possess an advanced ECDL certificate (European Computer Driving Licence).
- Has also the ability to speak, in Maltese and English.
- Be extremely organised, detail oriented in record keeping skills.
- Understand the usability of the archival documentation and their complementary tools including original repertories, cards, indexes, transcripts, handlists, published and unpublished catalogues.
- Be a trustworthy person and ready to maintain confidentiality at the workplace and support the various initiatives taken by the management.
- Be dedicated and disciplined to maintain the good standards of the Cathedral Archives as one of the leading scholarly and cultural institutions in Malta.
- Be of good moral character and produce a recent police certificate of conduct.
Original certificates and any other testimonials are to be produced at the interview by the selection board.
Interested candidates should apply by sending an email to Mrs Mariella Cutajar on email@example.com by no later than Monday 20th June 2022 and to include the Curriculum Vitae including, copies of qualifications and testimonials of experience.
Applicants are encouraged to view this website to familiarise themselves with the archives.