History of the Cathedral – Mdina Cathedral Museum Archives

History of the Cathedral

  • 1944.png

    1944

    The Cathedral bears the title of Metropolitan since the Bishop of Malta was raised to the dignity of metropolitan archbishop and head of the ecclesiastical province of Malta and Gozo
  • 1888.png

    1888

    Manufacturing of the two clocks. One showing the hour and the other showing the calendar
  • 1856.png

    1856

    Whole fresco on the dome by the Manno Brothers was destroyed during another earthquake
  • 1774.png

    1774

    Work on the ceiling of the Cathedral was completed by the Manno brothers
  • 1765.png

    1765

    Inlaid marble of the Holy Crucifix Chapel was made by Francesco Zahra
  • 1754.png

    1754

    Construction of the Altar of Repose by Francesco Zahra
  • 1726.png

    1726

    Precious marble and a long lapis lazuli block replaced the wooden scannello on the upper part of the altar
  • 1705.png

    1705

    Work on the dome of the Cathedral was completed
  • 1703.png

    1703

    Consecration of the Cathedral by Bishop Davide Cocco Palmieri took place on the 8th October
  • 1702.png

    1702

    16th February 1702 marked the death of the Architect of the Cathedral,Lorenzo Gafa
  • 1699.png

    1699

    Hoisting of bells by a hazardous operation
  • 1693-b.png

    1693

    11th April 1693 the Chapter decided to have a new Cathedral to replace the old structure after being presented by a report of the damages in collaboration with Lorenzo Gafa'
  • 1693-a.png

    1693

    The earthquake that shook the old Cathedral on Sunday, January 11th. It was the result of volcanic activity of Mount Etna in Sicily. Only the newly built choir area survived.
  • 1679.png

    1679

    Laying of the first stone of the Baroque Cathedral's choir attaching it to the old apse holding it from collapsing
  • 1615-1633.png

    1615-1633

    Baldassare Cagliares was the only Maltese native to become the Bishop of Malta during the Knights stay
  • 1530.png

    1535

    Date on the chestnut door saved from the ruins of the old cathedral after the earthquake. A splendid example of carved wood in the Sicilian tradition
  • 1370.png

    1370

    Casting of the oldest bell by Magister Victor et Nicolaus Frater, now preserved in the Cathedral Musuem
  • norman-times.png

    Norman Times

    During Norman times the Cathedral was the seat for the bishop of Malta although not all bishops resided in Malta