The Metropolitan Chapter – Mdina Cathedral Museum Archives

The Metropolitan Chapter

The Metropolitan Chapter of the Cathedral of Malta is made up of 30 canons, besides a number of canon coadjutors and honorary canons. The Cathedral Chapter is responsible for the running and for the liturgy of two churches, the Cathedral Church of St Paul at Mdina, which is also a Parish Church, and the Co-Cathedral Church of St John in Valletta. The latter was formerly the Conventual Church of the Knights of St John, but when in 1798 Napoleon expelled the Order, St John’s Church was entrusted to the care of Cathedral Chapter and later raised to the dignity of a Co-Cathedral.

The members of the Cathedral Chapter are divided into two sections, one section serving at Mdina and the other in Valletta. The Cathedral Church is the seat where the bishop of Malta has his cathedra.

The Cathedral Church of Mdina has a very long history. Count Roger of Normandy, who in 1090 conquered the Maltese islands from the Moors, reinstated the bishop and the Cathedral. In 1299 a new church dedicated to St Paul was being constructed. The Church of St John in Valletta has a much later origin; it was constructed by Grand Master La Cassiere in 1578 following the construction of Valletta after the Great Siege of 1565.

The Cathedral Chapter runs two important museums: the Cathedral Museum in Mdina and the St John’s Museum in Valletta, the latter jointly with the St John’s Co-Cathedral Foundation.

(Next to each Monsignor’s name is the respective date of appointment as Canon of the Cathedral)

Organisational Chart

Metropolitan Chapter

President
Mgr Louis Camilleri, B.A., Lic.D. (11.02.2007)
Chancellor
Mgr Tarcisio Delicata (11.02.2007)
Treasurer
Mgr Joe Bugeja, B.A., Lic.D. (11.02.2007)

Effective Monsignors
Mgr Joseph Galea Curmi, S.Th.D (14.08.2015), Vicar General
Mgr Philip Calleja, P.E.P., A.M., M.O.M., Cap.S.S. (13.01.1980), Archdeacon
Mgr Prof. Vincent Borg, D.D., H.E.D., Arch.Chr.L, Prel. S.S. (13.01.1980), Cantor
Mgr Anthony Cassar (21.09.2014), Archpriest
Mgr Aloysius Deguara, S.Th. Dip., M.Phil., Cap.S.S. (18.01.1987)
Mgr Carmelo Bonavia (18.01.1987)
Mgr Victor Grech, B.A., Lic.D., M.O.M., Prel.S.S. (16.09.1990)
Mgr Joseph Dalmas (16.07.1994)
Mgr Lawrence Cachia, B.A., Lic.D., M.O.M., Cap.S.S. (16.07.1994)
Mgr Arthur Said Pullicino, S.Th.L., J.C.D., Prel.S.S. (16.07.1994)
Mgr Anthony Galea, B.A., Lic.D. (07.03.1998)
Mgr Edgar Attard, B.A., Lic.D., Cap.S.S. (07.03.1998)
Mgr Alfred Xuereb (14.03.1998)
Mgr Vincent Deguara (26.07.2003)
Mgr Joseph Carabott (26.07.2003)
Mgr Joseph Mifsud Bonnici, B.A., Lic.D., (26.07.2003)
Mgr Anthony Vella, B.A., Lic.D., Dip. Adv. Trib. Eccl. Melit (03.12.2005)
Mgr Joseph Bugeja, B.A., Lic.D. (11.02.2007)
Mgr Tarcisio Delicata (11.02.2007)
Mgr Louis Camilleri, B.A., Lic.D. (11.02.2007)
Mgr Saviour Micallef, B.A., Lic.D. (11.02.2007)
Mgr Carmel Farrugia (11.02.2007)
Mgr Anton Gouder, M.S.Th. (31.03.2009)
Mgr Lawrence Gatt, B.A. (Hons.), Lic.D., J.C.D., M.O.M., Cap.S.S. (29.11.2009)
Mgr Carmelo Aquilina, Lic.D. (28.11.2010)
Mgr John Azzopardi, Lic.D., Prel.S.S. (10.01.2013)
Mgr Prof. George Grima, B.A., Lic.D., M.A. (23.01.2016)
Mgr Victor Zammit McKeon, Cap.S.S., Co-Cathedral Pro-Rector (28.06.2016)
Mgr Charles Cordina, Cap.S.S. (23.01.2016)

Monsignors Coadjutors
Mgr Frans Abdilla (23.01.2016)
Mgr Carmel Attard (23.01.2016)
Mgr Joseph Bajada, S.Th.B., M.S.Th., J.C.D., Cap.S.S. (23.01.2016)

Honorary Monsignors
Mgr Joseph Bartolo
Mgr Norrie Bonavia, B.A., Lic.D.
Mgr Valentino Borg, M.S.Th.
Mgr Guido Calleja
Mgr Chalcedon Vassallo
Mgr Alfred Vella, S.Th.L.

KTG – General Management Committee

Chairman
Graham Fairclough
Administrator / Secretary
Mariella Cutajar
Members
Mgr Louis Camilleri, B.A., Lic.D.
Mgr Anthony Cassar
Mgr John Azzopardi, Lic.D., Prel.S.S.
Mgr Aloysius Deguara, S.Th. Dip., M.Phil., Cap.S.S. 
Mgr Joseph Bugeja, B.A., Lic.D. 
Catherine Galea
Lawrence Zammit

Museum
Board

Chairman
Mgr Aloysius Deguara, S.Th. Dip., M.Phil., Cap.S.S. 
Curator
Rev. Dr Edgar Vella
Secretary
Gianluca Falzon
Members
Mgr John Azzopardi, Lic.D., Prel.S.S.
Mgr Tarcisio Delicata
Gerald Montanaro Gauci
Alex Vella

Archives
Board

Chairman
Mgr John Azzopardi, Lic.D., Prel.S.S.
Secretary
Mario Gauci
Members
Stanley Fiorini
William Zammit
Frederick Aquilina
Rev. Dr Nicholas Doublet
Joseph Schirò
Robert Gatt

Mgr Louis Camilleri

Mgr Louis Camilleri was born at Dingli, Malta, on 27th July 1944, son of Joseph Camilleri and Michelina nee’ Abela. He was the third of ten siblings. He attended the Dingli Primary School (1949 – 1956) and the Lyceum at Ħamrun (1956 – 1961). In 1962 he commenced his studies at the University of Malta where he graduated in B.A. General (1966), in B.D. (1968), and in Lic.D (1970). In 1962 he entered the Seminary at Floriana and commenced his training for the priesthood. He was ordained priest on the 15th March 1970. In September 1970 he started working at the Cana Movement. In 1971 he attended a training course with the Catholic Marriage Advisory Council of Great Britain (September – December 1971). In 1976 he took part in an international exchange programm in USA through the CIP – Council for International Programmes (April – August 1976). In 1976 he was appointed Assistant Director of the Cana Movement, and in 1987 he was appointed Director of the Cana Movement, which role he served until July 2006. Throughout this time he participated in many international conferences. In 1991 he was appointed board member of International Commission on Couple and Family Relations (ICCFR), where he served until 2006.

In September 2006 he was appointed Canonical Advisor to the Parties at the Metropolitan Tribunal. In 2007 he was nominated Canon of the Metropolitan Cathedral. In 2014 he was nominated council member of the St. John’s Co-Cathedral Foundation. In 2016 he was nominated President of the Cathedral Chapter and President of the St. John’s Co-Cathedral Foundation.

Mariella Cutajar

On November 17th 2014, Ms Mariella Cutajar assumed the role of Administrator for the Metropolitan Cathedral, Museum and the Archives.

Ms Cutajar has previously occupied roles in Human Resources, Finance, Quality and Production at Playmobil Malta Ltd and Lufthansa Technik Malta Ltd. She was appointed administrator by the ‘Kumitat Tmexxija Ġenerali’ (KTG) which is a committee assisting the Metropolitan Chapter in managing and administering the three entities above mentioned. Ms Cutajar has studied Management at the University of Malta.

In her new role Ms Cutajar shall be taking the three entities through some challenging times to ensure that these showcases of culture and heritage are well preserved and made known to the many artists, researchers, students and the local public in general, together with the tourists that visit our islands.

Mgr Aloysius Deguara

Mgr Aloysius Deguara was born on the 29th December 1928. He studied at the Government school, at the Seminary and at the University of Malta. He was ordained priest on the 3rd August 1952. He worked hand in hand with parish priests Fr Edgar Salomone and Fr Orazio Vella, his cousin. Apart form the pastoral work he also taught at the Seminary and at Stella Maris College. He was appointed parish priest of Ħal Kirkop in 1955, Ħal Għargħur in 1956 and archpriest of Siġġiewi from 1960 till 1976. He worked at the Dar tal-Providenza with Mgr Azzopardi (1976) and afterwards he was the spiritual director at the minor Seminary.

He was instrumental in the Catholic Movement Action and was one of the founders of the International Forum of the same Movement. As a delegate to the Archbishop for the Secular Apostolate, he participated in international conferences in preparation for the Synod regarding Laymen in the Church.

Mgr Anthony Cassar

Mgr Anthony Cassar Archpriest of St Paul’s Metropolitan Cathedral in Mdina. Born in Siġġiewi on the 5th of August 1946, his parents Albert and Josephine nee Mallia. He received his primary education at Luqa Government’s School and his Secondary education at St Aloysius College Birkirkara. He continued his tertiary studies (Philosophy and Theology) at the Faculty of Theology at the University of Malta.

Mgr Anthony was ordained priest on the 20th July 1974, by His Grace the Archbishop Michael Gonzi. He begun his pastoral ministry in the parish of Siġġiewi, followed by the Risen Christ Church in Tarxien Cemetery and in the Social Action Movement where he occupied various positions.

He worked at the Pontifical Missionary Office now known as Missio, office for the Clergy, Parish life, and Institutes of Consecrated Life at the Archbishop’s Curia. He formed part of the Committee of Christus Rex Society for Priests.

In 1983 he was posted as parish priest of St Bartholmew’s Parish in Għargħur, then in 1991 parish priest of Christ the King Parish in Paola. In 1998 he became the parish priest of Our Lady of Graces in Żabbar, and in 2003 Provost Archpriest of the Collegiate Basilica of St Helen in Birkirkara. In 2014 he was appointed as archpriest and member of the Metropolitan Chapter at St Paul’s Cathedral in Mdina, and is contemporaly the Director of Dar tal-Kleru (residence for diocesan and religious elderly priests).

Mgr John Azzopardi

Ordained priest in 1962, teacher of Classical Greek and Religion at the Seminary between the years 1962-1967. Served as curator of the Archives and Museum of the Metropolitan Cathedral from 1967 till the year 2002. Canon and Chancellor of the Collegiate Church of St Paul in Rabat Malta from 1978 till 2012. In 2013 he was appointed Canon of the Cathedral Chapter and entrusted with the custody of the Archives of the Cathedral Chapter. Created Prelate ad honoronem of His Holiness the Pope and Chaplain Grand Cross of Sovereign Military Order of St John, and awarded the Medalja għall-Qadi tar-Repubblika.

Member of several ecclesiastical and State cultural boards. Participated with contributions in various conferences in Malta, Europe and the United States of America. Presently occupying the role of curator of the Wignacourt Museum and Archive in Rabat.

Published and edited several books and catalogues on the Pauline cult in Malta as well as art, music and generic history. He also submitted articles in learned journals in Malta and abroad.